The Partnership for a Healthy Durham is a coalition of agencies, organizations, community members, and leaders. It has been a certified Healthy Carolinians program and a work group of Durham City and County’s Results-Based Accountability (RBA) or Imagine Durham initiative.
The Durham County Department of Public Health took over the Healthy Carolinians program from a private organization in 2004. At the same time, the Durham Board of County Commissioners and City Council were joining to create the “Healthy Everybody” goals of the RBA initiative. Since the Healthy Everybody workgroup’s efforts had the support of governmental officials and the same agenda as Healthy Carolinians, a merger of the two groups became the plan for the restructured Durham County Healthy Carolinians program. Other members from community organizations, agencies and neighborhoods were also invited to join the group. When the official meetings of the new coalition began, they adopted the name, Partnership for a Healthy Durham.
There are currently more than 500 active members involved in the Partnership for a Healthy Durham.
- Implemented RWJF Culture of Health Prize Award intiatives- HELP and Bike/Pedestrian education
- Released data reports– State of the County (SOTCH) and Youth Risk Behavior Survey (YRBS)
- Launched the new website
- Revised the Network of Care website through creating inclusion/exclusion criteria and cleaning data
- Elected six new co-chairs and six returning co-chairs
- Completed the FHI 360 evaluation which provided an in-depth look into the Partnership
- Receipt of a Rides to Wellness Demonstration and Innovative Coordinated Access and Mobility grant, which will continue work among partners
- Creating a new Healthy Mile Trail at Old North Durham Park
- Continuing Durham Knows campaign outreach through events, videos and bus ads
- Conducting Community Health Assessment surveys in English and Spanish
- Surveying behavioral health care providers about LGBTQ related training and policy needs
A huge thank you to all of our partners and committee members for making 2016 a great year! We look forward to an even better 2017.