Description and Activities
The HIV/STI committee brings together community members and agencies to focus on strategies to prevent the spread of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and HIV/AIDS, which disproportionately impact people of color.
All HIV/STI committee meetings are open to the public.
For the next three years the committee members plan to:
- Organize World AIDS Day activities
- Increase HIV/STI testing and condom distribution
- Increase awareness of HIV and advocate for policy change through Durham Knows, a media campaign
The current committee chairs are:
To learn more or to join the committee, contact Marissa Mortiboy, the Partnership Coordinator, at email@example.com or 919-560-7833.
The HIV/STI Advisory Council meets on the last Wednesday of each month from 11:30-1:00 p.m. in the Durham County Health Department’s Auditorium. Meetings generally include discussion on action items, presentations from guest speakers and updates from the various working groups. Lunch is not usually provided.
Meetings are open to the public. Community members are encouraged to attend. You can find meeting times on our calendar.
December No meeting
Past accomplishments include:
- Creation of a business-sized card that lists in English and Spanish where to get tested for HIV in Durham County.
- Several Op-ed articles in the Durham Herald-Sun, News and Observer, and The Durham News.
- World AIDS Day Durham 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010, and 2009: The committee hosted Durham’s annual World AIDS Day event. In addition to speeches and activities commemorating the effect HIV and AIDS have had locally and internationally, HIV, syphilis, Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, gonorrhea, and chlamydia testing were offered. In 2012, Sebastian Battle was the recipient of the World AIDS Day Service award. Danielle Myers and Selena Judon Monk were the 2010 and 2009 recipients of the World AIDS Day Service Award.
Durham Herald-Sun Article January 2009: Young and old at risk for HIV infection
May 2010 Presentation: Accessing Mental Health & Substance Abuse Services